Sunday, March 22, 2015

Aliens and today's audience

I cheered.

Do they do that in theaters today? If so, I haven't seen it.

Audiences of which I was in cheered at Star Wars. They roared in approval when Reiser got his. They were in to it

I've been in quite a few movies of late that the audience clearly loved. Aliens. Avengers. A dozen others across genres, with the most recent being a more modest box-office title, "Kingsman."

It's not that I run out of the theaters early, with a well-practiced "Get off my lawn." No, I wait until the very end (and actually don't need to use the "Get off my lawn" cliche).

Either movies today do not inspire ovations of the kind found on Broadway, or people today aren't inspired to do so in general. I bet it is the former.

In Independence Day, the audience cheered and jumped up into applause when the first titan went down.

When will that happen again? And is the lack of it right now on the studios, or on us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

By and large I am going to rely on Twitter to be the 'comments' section here. You can submit comments, but moderation is enabled, and nearly all of the time I am not even going to check the moderation queue (although in some circumstances, I just might).